Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 17:32:11
[ On Monday, August 26, 2002 at 10:42:07 (-0700), Bill Studenmund wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
>
> 2) All the programs in /bin and /sbin are not used ONLY in single-user
> mode.

Indeed, which kepes them running fast in multi-user mode too.

> So keeping them static means that we say can't add new ways of
> finding users (can't dload a module) at all.

I can assure you that I and many many other people will never ever ever
want to do that, at least not on any OS with freely available source.

> Also, a lot of the locale
> stuff (which admittedly you and I being roman-alphabet-users won't need as
> much) needs dynamic loading.

The implementation of decent locale support does NOT _need_ dynamic
do the things necessary for full locale support.  I don't have all the
answers for locale support, but I know all-dynamic systems are not the
only way to go.

I also know that I don't want it to ever be possible on at least some of
my systems (and perhaps even all of them) for a static linked program to
dynamically link new code into itself.

--
								Greg A. Woods