Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Wlodarczyk <spam-at-novacons-dot-com@dontreplydirectly.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 13:32:45
In article <200208261550.AAA21179@srapc342.sra.co.jp> you wrote:
> 	Mike Wlodarczyk <spam-at-novacons-dot-com@novacons.com> said:

>> Actually, hier(7) also has

>>         /stand/         programs used in a standalone environment

>> The rescue environment certainly seems standalone to me.

> That's wrong, too.

> The "standalone environment" means that the programs run without UNIX
> (or NetBSD) kernel.
> i.e. Usually that means the programs run over firmware.

> You can see this with standalone programs in sys/arch/${MACHINE}/stand/.

Well, maybe so, but some of the stuff in stand seems to end up in /usr/mdec, so
I don't see a lot of consistency to limit it to stuff that doesn't need a running
kernel. At any rate, I only commented on it because "/rescue", despite describing
what it's for pretty well, just doesn't seem *Right* as far as unixy, netbsd-ish
directory names go. And I can't think of anything better besides /stand. Shrug.

However, I think it would be a good idea to have this little blob of stuff be
separately installable in the same way the man or text filesets are as it
doesn't appear to be required for operation and I at least would end up
deleting it just to remove one more bit of root filesystem clutter.
--
Mike Wlodarczyk