Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 21:29:05

> And even if there is a way to get such symbols. There is a still
> following problem:
> 	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2001/12/22/0002.html

That is only a serious problem if the two versions are not binary
compatible.  I suspect that the symbols in the program body are
always used, even in order to satisfy internal dependencies within
a loaded library.

(I used to ensure that the only global symbols in a shared library
where those of the external interface, and that those symbols where
never referenced internally.  Otherwise havock ensues anyway.)

Remember where is no requirement for a shared library to actually
require any of libc.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk