Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 20:32:22
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 11:18:24AM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
>
>  > What does dlopen() buy us?  [addendum:  never mind; i misread dlopen() as
>  > dynamic lib open, not dynamic load open...]
>
> dlopen() is required for e.g. pluggable locale support, and is also used
> for PAM (the BSD-Auth vs. PAM discussion should be saved for another time,
> though :-)

It seems to me as we have two different problems here.

1) linking /bin and /sbin dynamically, and throwing in /lib, /libexec,
/rescue and other stuff in root.

2) using dlopen() in all programs.

Why are these two discussions being mixed? Are they totally inseparable?

(And no, I don't like PAM yet... :-)

	Johnny