Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 14:06:10
>     +	Reduction in disk space usage in `/'.
> 	On a 1.6_BETA3/i386 system:
> 		5660    /bin
> 		10322   /sbin
> 		15982   total
>
> 	On a fully dynamic i386 system:
> 		1506    /bin
> 		1702    /sbin
> 		1206    /lib
> 		4804    /rescue
> 		9218    total

I assume the saving is so that a NetBSD root file system can better fit
onto things like flash?  Should this and other such tricks (triming
libc, ...) be left those people?

There also looks to be something else more funamental going wrong.  A
quick look reveals that 3mb of a PPC's /sbin is mount* variants.  Just
that is ~half the above saving.

Finally, its been pointed out that shlibing /bin causes a performance
drop.  I suspect catch 22, the systems that are most starved for disk
space (the old ones) are the ones that will show the most dramatic
performance drop :-(

fun, eh?
Andrew