Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: <>
From: David Laight <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 18:40:42
> Please read the thread on tech-userlevel. There are a lot of good reasons
> for doing this, all of which involve now being able to dlopen() libraries.

It ought to be possible to build a dynamically linked program
that does not use the dynamic  This ought to speed up
program startup (where this is significant) while still allowing
dlopen() to be used in specific functions.

I was going to look at the kernel elf exec code - it would probably
be benefitial for it to keep a reference to the vnode for elf
interpreters (with maybe a sysctl to dump the list for debug).

I've also just make /usr/lib/ a hard link to,
this improves my test to 1.520 (or so) - total gain 9%
So removing the symlink is actually a bigger gain...

David Laight: