Subject: Re: Upgrade from 1.5.x to -current on alpha
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/2002 04:42:00
--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 07:26:57PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
>=20
> If DESTDIR=3D/ is that broke, it shouldn't be permitted at all.
>=20
> I *avoid* DESTDIR=3D/ just out of common sense (that and I've been bit
> by crt0.o blowing up all subsequent compilations when I do that), but
> it should not just fail, I don't think.  If it does fail, why do we
> permit it?

well, one can argue why do we permit rm -rf / then?

DESTDIR is set to / because it has no better default value, imo.  i'd
prefer if build.sh needed some special switch to accept it and print
warning if it's not set and DESTDIR still points to / (..or find better
default value but i don't have an idea what should it be) and don't let
users destroy their systems with e.g. failing -current unless they
explicitly ask for it.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=