Subject: Re: UltraDMA problems under 1.6F (probably hardware)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/2002 08:01:33
--9l24NVCWtSuIVIod

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 01:47:02PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> gr@eclipsed.net said:
> > Maybe I'll try trading the UDMA 66 10 GB drive with the UDMA 133
> > 160(ish) GB drive to confirm Matthias's experience.=20
> My drives don't support UDMA133, this happens with UDMA100.

Huh.

That didn't happen on my old (now dead) motherboard, where I had the
disks plugged in identically to the way they are now. I believe
that was a Via UDMA 100 controller (I'm sure the {north,south}bridge
chips were Via, and that it was UDMA 100; I'm not sure that it
wasn't an off-chip IDE controller, but I doubt that), but I couldn't
tell you which one without digging through something like, oh, this
looks good:

  http://www.plasma-online.de/english/identify/picture/via.html

> > do we even support UDMA 133 yet?
> No, afaict. Definitely not for VIA chipsets.

Well. Then maybe we also don't support 48-bit LBA, which could
plausibly be part of the problem (though it really shouldn't be; the
OS addressing the controller with only 28-bit commands is no
justification for it to completely flake out).

It's probably worth my telling the BIOS to limit itself to UDMA 100.
Provided it's not too brain-damaged to do that. (Cf, my previously
stated feelings on IA32...)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net