Subject: Re: GTK+/GLib and i18n
To: Jaromir Dolecek <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/2002 20:36:15
Le Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:01:47 +0200 (CEST)
Jaromir Dolecek a écrit :
> Eric Jacoboni wrote:
> > Nope... Try exactly this, then run a GTK app and see some item menus
> > disappear. For my own, i've totally disable locales as they are
> > unusable on NetBSD (at least, for french under X11 and GTK).
> I see this problem as well (most notably, with gaim and LANG=cs,
> LC_ALL=cs_CZ.ISO8859-2). Up to now, I thought it's just something
> screwed with my environ, or gtk brokeness.

I suspect a problem coming from GLib.

> Eventually, I noticed that the "missing" labels are those which
> contain any diacritics. Is it the same for your (french) case?

Yes. Basically, it affects any non-ascii character.

> If yes, it's probably gtk_button_new_with_label() (et. al) which
> is to blame.

It's something around there, but it is hard to know exactly.

I have quite a strange problem with Sylpheed-claws which seems to be
related. I couldn't test with LANG=fr_FR.ISO8859-1, but with
LANG=fr_FR.ISO-8859-1, lines get wrapped on accentued letters when sending
a mail. It behaves just as if the accentued letter was replaced by a space
: the letter gets lost and the line is wrapped in the middle of a word.

It gets weirder when I observe that the code which wraps the text when
typing it (it's not the same piece of code, for some reason), lines are
correctly wrapped.

I think it is the same class of bug, which makes me think it is related to
GLib. I still have to find out exactly what goes wrong though, but I have
a lead now.


That's how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything
for the swim back.
Vincent/Jerome, in Gattaca.