Subject: Re: GTK+/GLib and i18n
To: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/2002 20:01:47
Eric Jacoboni wrote:
> Nope... Try exactly this, then run a GTK app and see some item menus
> disappear. For my own, i've totally disable locales as they are
> unusable on NetBSD (at least, for french under X11 and GTK).

I see this problem as well (most notably, with gaim and LANG=cs,
LC_ALL=cs_CZ.ISO8859-2). Up to now, I thought it's just something screwed
with my environ, or gtk brokeness.

I've done some experintation with gettext, and I don't see any
problem (I always see the correct stuff). I even tried to modify
gaim source and printf the text strings out.  I get correct printfs,
but still incorrect (missing) button labels.

Eventually, I noticed that the "missing" labels are those which
contain any diacritics. Is it the same for your (french) case?

If yes, it's probably gtk_button_new_with_label() (et. al) which
is to blame.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/