Subject: Re: Problems with 1.6_Beta5 install on i386 / Thinkpad 770
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/2002 11:49:48
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Mike Cheponis wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to install 1.6_Beta5 on a Thinkpad 770 with 228 MB of memory
> and a Toshiba 1,356,300,288 byte drive.  Problems:
>
> 1) Ominously, during boot, one message says:
>
>       sh: can't open ./MKDEV.local
>
>    Is this a concern?

That should not matter (unless it was really spelled like that).
/dev/MAKEDEV.local does nothing by default.

> 2) Also, during boot:
>
>     Warning: no /dev/console

I guess init said that.

>    Is this a problem?

init will make a MFS /dev and mknod a /dev/console. (And it will copy and
run the /dev/MAKEDEV.)

This sounds like your /dev was empty. (Was this before the install or
later? Oh, I guess your other comments explain this.)

>    Yet, the install document says that 70M + N MB is required, N is amt of
>    memory, and an additional 60 MB for X; clearly, my 1.3 GB disk should be
>    plenty big.

Yes. You can fit it all in less than 200MB.

>    Then, when I try to reboot, apparently the bootloader didn't properly
>    write the bootblocks (I told sysinst that this disk was dedicated for
>    NetBSD), so the Thinkpad 770 asks for me to shove in a floppy to boot. (!)

It seems to have missed a step. Can you boot you hard disk from a floppy?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/