Subject: Re: IEEE1394 (firewire) vs USB2
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/2002 17:16:40
[ On Friday, August 2, 2002 at 18:11:54 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: IEEE1394 (firewire) vs USB2
>
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
>
> # Quoting Kevin Sullivan (ksulliva@psc.edu):
> #
> # SCSI performs better.  It costs more.
>
> SCSI's additional components do not justify THAT much of a price
> difference.  They charge that much more because They Can [TM].

You should know by now that component count (within the reasonable range
that'll fit on the board on the bottom of a modern 3.5" drive) has very
little to do with the final cost of the device.  The quantity of units
of a given type that are manufactured may alone account for the cost
differences, or perhaps it's the overall quantity and supply of the
components which are unique to the SCSI version.  Also, though I don't
know that there's any impact from the extra engineering costs or not,
but there certainly was back in the early days of SCSI, esp. if you were
buying from one of the original sponsors of the public SCSI standard.

--
								Greg A. Woods