Subject: IEEE1394 (firewire) vs USB2
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/2002 10:58:14
I'm looking to buy some external disks for my server at home.  3 years ago
I would have gone with SCSI, but nowadays SCSI is very expensive and I
really don't need the performance for my home system.  So I'm comparing
firewire and USB2.

My new i386 machine (which will be the primary user of the disks) will have
USB2 on the motherboard.  But my G4 Imac has firewire (and cannot be
upgraded to USB2), and I already have some firewire cables for my
playstation2.  USB2 drives would work in my USB1 laptop and other machines
without additional hardware, albeit very slowly.

The deciding factor may be NetBSD support, so:  using 1.6 (i386 mostly),
which is better supported, umass via USB2 or firewire?  Is this likely to
change soon?  Also, does one or the other bus have serious design flaws
which will cripple it?

	-Kevin