Subject: Re: Warning message: Why do I care?
To: None <ww@styx.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/01/2002 11:20:38
# > >> I disagree.  Too much software treats fd 0-2 as sacred.  I don't think
# > >> that open(2) should ever return a fd below 3.  I don't belive this would
# > >> break anything.
# > >
# > >how would you redirect output to a file then? usually this
# > >is implemented with something like
# > >
# > >  close(1);
# > >  fd = open("somefile", O_WRONLY);
# > >
# > You could use dup2().  But I suspect there's a lot of code around that
# > does it your way.
#
# sure. s/usually/often/. point is, it would definitely break things.
#

A bit afield of the original argument; I certainly wasn't arguing in
favour of open() returning only 3 or higher; that's ludicrous.

"UNIX does not prevent you from doing stupid things, because then
 UNIX would also prevent you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn

[A SysV advocate (to understate) who drove me NUTS, but on reflection,
 he was amazingly knowledgeable about such matters, and he had greater
 foresight than most.]

I don't want to see the garbage on my console about this, but I don't
want other kern.notice priority messages go get lost by the wayside,
either.

I mean, I'll deal; I don't want to be that big of a PITA about it, but
I've presented my opinion and my reasoning.  Make of it what you will.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: it'll be there when you're ready for it.