Subject: Re: Problems doing cvs checkout of a given day's 1.6BETA4 source
To: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/2002 22:52:15
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Douglas Wade Needham wrote:

>      time cvs co -rnetbsd-1-6 src
>      cd src
>      cvs -lq update -d -P -D "07/24/2002 00:00 GMT"
>
> To my surprise, when I compare the results of these commands against
> the source I just retrieved from releng under the 200207240000
> directory, I find that I have differences all over.  Excluding the CVS
> files which would obviously cause diffs, I have found that I get 26195
> files with diffs before the update, and 26969 after the updates.

Try doing a "cvs status" on some of the different files, to see if
they'e on the branch or the HEAD (or just inspect the NetBSD version
number part of the diff. Branch versions have four fields if they're
changed from the HEAD, HEAD versions always two). I suspect that -D
overrides the branch tag, and that time-travel on a branch doesn't
really work, even though some folks have reported that "it works for
them".

Frederick