Subject: Re: Repeated panics on a Proliant 800 biproc with 1.6D kernel and 1.5.2 userland
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/2002 21:03:19

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 07:02:30PM +0200, Xavier HUMBERT wrote:
> You wrote :
> > You actually can cause problems that way. It
> > doesn't look like it's causing your problem here, but it's not good.
> No, it is not the problem. Even with current or 1.6BETA sysinst floppies
> it panics, while everythings fine with 1.5.2, until I mess the whole
> thing with partial nuilds :-)
> If it's not memory (which is unlikely, checked it with memtest86), the
> only thing that comes in mind is the Compaq SmartArray controller.

That's not convincing --- the only memory test that really detects softer
errors reliably is trying to compile something big with gcc :-).. memory
tester access patterns are often too regular to pick up timing/refresh

1.6 is more eager to use all the RAM than 1.5.x was... so maybe its sucn
an error in one of your modules (or part of your module, sorry, didn't=20
look close enough at your messages before starting to type).

seal your e-mail:

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see