Subject: Amanda and NetBSD/alpha?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2002 22:47:44
I'm setting up backups, and I've noticed something really odd.  I'm backing
up a BSD/OS machine and three NetBSD machines.  (The Amanda server is on the
BSD/OS machine.)

Three of the machines back up at close to 1MB/sec, which is pretty good given
that I've told Amanda not to use much more than that, and it's dumping to
a holding disk over NFS on a congested network.

The fourth backs up at around 50kB/sec.

The fourth machine is running NetBSD/alpha, on a PC164 at 500Mhz.  Most
interestingly, it is running >95% idle.

Copies from the disk it's backing up, via scp, go around 2-3MB/sec.  NFS
copies go around 5-7MB/sec.

Can anyone suggest a bottleneck I may not have thought of?  Currently using
a 3C90x ethernet, because my Intel Etherexpress was acting up.

-s