Subject: Re: booting from an alternate partition?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2002 20:13:20
On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 11:49:51PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> begging pardon, but how, precisely, does one boot from an alternate
> partition (-by default!-)?  i386 platform.
>
> We really ought to find somewhere to stash some startup parameters for
> the boot program to look at when it boots, so things like reboot -- -s
> can work in a MI fashion.

Well the netbsd bootloader (the one that counts down from 5)
could read a command from a file when the timeout expires.
After all it knows how to access the root directory.

But if you need the mbr_bootsel to do anything you would
have to modify the boot sector - and trust there is space
in mbr_bootsel to fit in the code to unset it (by writing
a copy of itself back).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk