Subject: Re: pcmcia ep0 performance awful in 1.6/-current
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/2002 13:26:29
This might be related somehow, I don't know.

OS:	NetBSD/sparc 1.5ZC
Hardware:  SPARCstation 5/170MHz.
Networking:	le0 [10BT]
		be0 [100TXd]
		hme0 [100TX]
Comment:  Gods, I love my hme card.

Other:  Hawking 8-port N-way switch [very small switch].
	Netopia 8-port 10BT R3100-I

Results as soon as I switched to the hawking from using the Netopia's
built-in 10baseT hub:

	NFS default size	NFS [rw]size=8192

le0	Stopped working		Worked fine
be0	Does not work at all	Does not work at all - no networking
hme0	Works fine		Works fine

I'm wondering what was wrong with le0 and the 32k I/O size.  Watching
the traffic showed a VERY SLOW snd/ack sequence.  It was on the order
of SND/ACK...[wait about 30 seconds]ACK...[wait ...]ACK [received!  yay!]
SND/ACK...[wait...]ACK...

and like that.  Needless to say, I was less than thrilled at having to
reboot my box because at 1.5k/minute, I wasn't going to be able to save
that 1.2MB file any time soon...

I have NO clue as to what was up.