Subject: Re: -pipe significantly boosts up kernel compile speed
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2002 12:05:03
On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:27:43AM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > I don't think that default stdio buffer size is optimal, btw.
>
> I've always wondered why it was 5k!
> With page loaning and writing to pipes, maybe stdio should
> cycle through 3(?) page aligned, page sized buffers.

I've just looked at the netbsd stdio and malloc code.
It looks as though stdio uses buffers the size of the block
size reported by fstat() - defaulting to 1k.
and that malloc returns aligned addresses.

However to get page loaning working you need to avoid
the 'copy on write' that will happen in order to satisfy
the part of the printf() call that is placed over the
start of the loaned buffer....
OTOH the read side could be ok - if implemented.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk