Subject: Re: -pipe significantly boosts up kernel compile speed
To: None <>
From: Chuck Yerkes <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2002 12:49:43
I can't really consider a 166MHz/64MB machine slow and small
(looking at my firewall appliance at 66MHz/32MB and dealing with
embedded systems with 8MB of RAM - granted then never compile anymore).
Getting old? Yes.  "slow" not for my def of "slow".

Try building on a 32MB sparc 1 or 2 or a 486/50.

-pipe is good if you have RAM to spare.  Perhaps it could be added
if there's a way to programatically check RAM size for > 128MB.

Quoting Bang Jun-Young (