Subject: mfs /dev configurable, presumably...
To: BSD Current Users <>
From: Greywolf <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2002 10:26:22

I have a -current build from about a week ago.  I boot it, and it comes
up creating a mfs /dev with every device known to man living in it, as
though "MAKEDEV all" had just been run.

I'll presume this is a first step toward a devfs.  I'll further presume
that I can rip this code out and rebuild init, seeing as I find the /dev
far too crowded.

[I'll note that a devfs isn't really going to be practical until ptys
among others are clone devices as well...]

I think the thing I *really* found the most annoying about this is that
"chgrp" and "chown" don't exist at the time the devices are created, and
messages are spewed to point this out.  Repeatedly.

	"Just click on the START button and your journey to the Dark Side
	 will be complete!"