Subject: Re: -pipe significantly boosts up kernel compile speed
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
From: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2002 18:12:51
* Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr> [020704 15:43]:

>         Hi,
>
> Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com> writes:
>
> > I tested to see how -pipe option given to gcc affects kernel
> > build time, and got the result below:
> > [...]
> > I wish it to become default for -current. Any comments?
>
> If it were to become the default, could it be on a per
> architecture/machine basis?
>
> I don't want cpp, cc1 and the assembler to be swapped in/out everytime
> a chunk of kilobytes is handed from one to the other on my
> eight-megabyte Amiga...

Just a thought, but has anybody considered adding a (possibly
platform-specific) tuning(7) manpage, like FreeBSD has?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E56923131

That would be an ideal place for documenting performance tweaks
that we may want to suggest but not enforce by default, also
kernel options to particular roles, etc.

For all I know we already have this resource
 - the mailing list archives spring to mind :) - but this would
be something that would be easily accessible, and could be maintained
along with the system (sometimes it's hard to tell whether a particular
tweak still applies to a moderm NetBSD box).

And yes, since I'm the evil genius behind this, I'm prepared to
contribute if people think it would be handy (still pretty new to
NetBSD, so would happily accept contributions from gurus).