Subject: Re: Reboot instead of powerdown
To: None <>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/2002 17:58:47
* Julio Merino ( Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 01:40:40PM +0200:
> I usually shutdown my computer with 'shutdown -p now', which effectively
> powers it down. Although I have seen that sometimes it reboots instead
> of power off. This started happening some days ago, maybe a week or two.
> BTW, this is i386, Asus P2L97 mobo.

Just for the record: I have the same combination. And I see that
behaviour sometimes, too. But I think I see a pattern there as well:
The confusion of power down/reboot happens after updating the kernel,
i.e. I have one kernel running and replace the kernel with a newly
built one. I suspect it might have to do with differences between the
still running kernel in memory and the new on-disk kernel.

Bjoern Labitzke  <>
   Use GPG! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)