Subject: Re: java native on NetBSD?
To: Michael Core <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/2002 19:26:05
In message <>, Michael Cor
e writes:
> (Greywolf) wrote:
>> Is there a native Java interpeter/compiler for NetBSD, or is it all
>> done under emulation?
>Why do you ask? I would say it doesn't matter at all. Or are there some
>serious reason one would need a native Java environment?

I'm not sure -- I was about to post this.  I'm trying to use the Java
plugin for Mozilla 1.0.  I have a symlink to the jre plugin in the
right directory, but when I fire up Mozilla, I get this message:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/pkg/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/ [Shared object "" not found]

I wonder if that has something to do with a NetBSD-native program
trying to use a Linux emulator plug-in.  (Aside:  Last month, I posted
a note asking why I got getpwuid_r undefined any time I tried to run
Java.  I finally fixed it, by pkg_deleting all of the Linux emulator,
and then doing 'rm -f' on /emul/linux and /usr/pkg/emul/linux, and
reinstalling everything.  I have no idea what was really wrong, but
something in my emulation setup was scrogged, almost certainly by an
attempt to upgrade to 7.3.)

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) ("Firewalls" book)