Subject: Re: Curious SYNOPSIS in signal(3)
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2002 11:48:46
[ On Wednesday, June 26, 2002 at 13:50:31 (+0200), Olaf Seibert wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Curious SYNOPSIS in signal(3)
>
> and that the returned function is of the same type as the function that
> you pass in. Which is not very clear from the expanded form, either.

I'd say that depends entirely on how well you read C.  It's clear enough
for me!  ;-)

> On Wed 26 Jun 2002 at 11:27:44 +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> > I'm going to update the manpage to use typedef.
>
> Good idea.

I've submitted a PR for the manual page so it shows the correct plain syntax.

I don't mind if the typedef is shown, and I don't mind if the typedef'ed
form is _also_ shown, but 'sig_t' is non-standard and all the books and
standards and reference manuals will always show the plain syntax, so
the signal(3) manual page should also show the plain syntax, and in
preference to (i.e. first before) the typdef'ed syntax.

--
								Greg A. Woods