Subject: Re: rc.local and rcorder(8)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2002 19:45:05
Greg A. Woods said:

>I think Luke has already given the correct answer to that issue.  :-)

And I replied that you still have to edit rc.conf as /usr/local/isn't mounted,
normally, when /etc/rc.d contents is run.

>Huh?  My pkg database has always been in /var/db/pkg.  I'm still
>updating packages on 1.3.2, 1.3.3, 1.4.1, and some half-breed once upon
>a time -current systems, and some much more -current systems, and
>hopefully soon some 1.6beta systems too, all without moving or changing
>or drastically hacking anything.  You must have broken something on your
>own.  Don't blame such mistakes on the package system.  Especially do
>not blame such past problems on the future system!  I would hope a time
>will come that on a system if pkg_add is used for third-party software
>then it will be required for the system files to be registered in the
>pkg database too (even if they were not installed with pkg_add).

On the particular machine, the stuff in /usr/pkg was only installed through
the pkg system. Some ofthe oldest things in there are:

-r-xr-xr-x   2 bin   bin     393562 Dec 21  1997 zsh
-r-xr-xr-x   2 bin   bin     393562 Dec 21  1997 zsh-3.0.5
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin   bin     393562 Dec 21  1997 zsh.old
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin   bin      13978 Nov 19  1997 send-pr
-rwxr-sr-x   1 root  kmem     36864 Nov 19  1997 top

><sarcasm>
>Good for you -- I remember doing that once upon a time too.  It works
>great for one or two machines, or even a "cluster" on a local network.
></sarcasm>

When you do a "make upgrade" to upgrade a library, all applications that
used that library are removed, and then the applications are supposed to
be sucked down and rebuilt after all else is updated. I've seen applications
removed and never rebuilt by pkg.

I have Wordperfect 8 for Linux on this box. The place where I keep emul/linux
predates /usr/pkg.

Now if you look at my other systems...  I generally don't redirect X
applications across systems.  I have emacs on all my systems. Well, pkg
builds the X version. If I want the tty version I have to build it by hand.

The pkg stuff deleted postgressql while I had a running database.

I used to have gnumeric on this system...

>Didn't you read the phrase "by default" in what I wrote?  Besides I only
>suggested turning it off and then forcing those who want to use such
>hacks to understand the implications of what they're doing within the
>context of the rest of the system.  Overall the flexibility of the
>system has been greatly enhanced by /etc/rc.d et al, and even though
>rc.local is just an ugly and literally unnecessary wart on its side, I
>wouldn't expect it to go away entirely any time soon.

So, only applications from the NetBSD distribution and pkg should be allowed?

Microsoft is working on this.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com