Subject: Re: NetBSD vs PPPOE
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2002 15:35:21
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 10:18:06AM -0400, Robert F Schaefer wrote:
>> > On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 07:13:12AM -0400, Robert Schaefer wrote:
>> >
>> > Read
>> >
>> > http://netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/
>> >
>> > and that should explane how to use kernel land PPPoE. You'll need
>> > 1.5Z or newer kernel.
>>
>> Is one kernel preferred over another?  I haven't kept track 'em, but I
>>  don't want to get bit with a bug that everyone else knows about.
>
> Go with a 1.6_BETA snapshot. That's what I'm running, and it works
> fine.

Ok.  I was leaning towards 1.6 any way, this is enough to push me the last
little bit.

>> > And for PPPoE you need fast machine. My friend have 10/10Mbps DSL
>> > connection with PPPoE and 120MHz Pentium doing routing and it isn't
>> > fast enough (it's linux.. ;).
>>
>> This is bad news.  I've got to route 2-3 boxes throught the
>> connection, and
>
> With the in-kernel pppoe, cpu usage is much less. My router is a sparc
> IPC (25 Mhz CPU), and ay 512Mb/s it use only 20% CPU.

I don't think it's quite fair to compare a PeaSea to a Real Computer, but
alas, I have lots of them.  Hopefully I can find a few decent 10bT cards,
it sounds like they might be a bottleneck

In any case, if the line is better than 128/128 I'd be pretty suprised.  It
was *quite* cheap, and I didn't notice and adcopy with the speed in BIG
BOLD LETTERS.  It sounds like I should be good to go with it.

Thanks for everyone's responses!

> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>

Bob