Subject: Re: rc.local and rcorder(8)
To: None <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2002 15:26:14
In message <>, Rick Kelly writes:

>When I set up a system I use the policy that stuff in /etc/rc.d is
>the basic system stuff and shouldn't be messed with.

This is crucial.  Updating /etc is the most difficult -- and
error-prone -- part of doing a system upgrade.  Anything that involves
more intermingling of local and distribution directories is a pain.
(etcupdate is a step in the right direction.  I'm far from convinced
it's the full answer.)

/etc.local/rc.d might be a better solution.  Generalize as needed for
other files that need to be customized...

		--Steve Bellovin, (me) ("Firewalls" book)