Subject: Re: How to add compiler flags?
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/19/2002 15:30:52
--58yjuNbz5lCTNNJH

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 12:22:43PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I *should* be using to add
> build-time compiler flags to /etc/mk.conf, since HOST_CFLAGS,
> LOCAL_CFLAGS and COPTS all seem to be off limits?

Is there some reason you *need* to have some C flags always defined
in the pkgsrc and src Makefiles (the only things that should be
relying on /etc/mk.conf)?

If this is your own stuff, using a NetBSD-like mk structure makes
sense, but making it coexist with settings specific to building
NetBSD is a bad idea.

I've got a CFLAGS+=3D-g sitting around commented in my /etc/mk.conf,
and I'll periodically uncomment it if I'm getting weird issues I
really need debugged copies of a bunch of OS stuff to figure out.
Doing that's never caused me problems (you know, more than I was
already having by *needing* a debug-symbol-linked version of
*everything*), but I've got no reason to think that it'd always
work.

Btw, isn't this a question more apropos to tech-toolchain these
days?

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net