Subject: Re: broken Promises?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/2002 10:28:43
* Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> [020613 21:13]:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:55:15AM +0100, Rasputin wrote:
> >
> > Ack! I just lost my current system.
> >
> > After getting a couple of 'lost interrupt' errors while running vmware
> > (maybe not related, but it's been fine for about a month),
> > I decided to reboot and see if that cleared them.
>
> Were all access ending in lost insterrupts, or you only got a few and then
> system keep running as normal ?

The latter. I still don't know what caused the problems, though I'm blaming
vmware until I have a reason not to. Possibly the kernel modules were
out of date or something? It's the only reason I can think of for it to
b0rk a system that badly.  Just updated them, anyway.

now have the system back, so no harm done, although I'll be backing up
twice weekly from now on :)

Booted of last months 1.5.2 system disk, build a current GENERIC,
booted with that, mounted the old drives, and noticed that /usr had a
negative number for 'usage' in df ! All the files seemed to be there so just
tarred up /old/usr , newfsed the partition and untarred it again -
running on it now...

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance; I've smoked 3 drives since April,
and was hoping the Promise would stop it happening, so I apologize if I
was a little excitable when I posted the other day.