Subject: Re: Simple thought...
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/2002 17:22:13
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Greywolf wrote:

> I thought vnodes WERE metadata.  Or is it that the _i_node data is the
> stuff (under the vnode) that gets cached and the vnode is just a pointer,
> and there's no cache for that?

vnodes aren't metadata. The inodes are based on metadata on disk, but a
vnode is a kernel construct that has an MI part (struct vnode), and an
FS-specific part (different for each fs).

So there are three caches going on. There's the data describing the
directory which lives in the buffer cache (the directory's file contents
for ufs), there are the struct vodes built when you access a file in a
directory, and there are the FS-specific bits also built when you access
a file in a directory.

Take care,

Bill