Subject: Re: DRI on NetBSD
To: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2002 05:58:41
> > Back in May, I said that I wasn't aware of anyone ``presently working on
> > DRI under NetBSD''.  Breno Colon resonded to my comment in
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2002/05/11/0012.html (although
 [...]
> > Still, as long as *someone* is working on it, I was happy to take it off
> > of my personal to-do list.  I probably wouldn't have ever got far with it,
 [...]
> I wrote to Eric Anholt, who seems to be the man behind the port of DRI to
> FreeBSD.  He already had NetBSD on his TODO, but he replied to a message
> I sent him telling me that he already started the work.  I offered to help,
> but, at least for now, I don't feel like the right person to help him with
 [...]

I tend to feel the same way about myself.  Then that's compounded by a
lack of time.  I might have time to learn what DRI requires and do a
*little* bit of work on it, but not enough to be useful if someone else is
seriously working on it.

It might help if he had a collection of links (or copies of documents)
that explain what DRI really requires.  I wasn't able to find this kind of
information when I was looking for it.  The only useful information about
the required kenel changes that I picked up was: There is at least one
sysctl that is added for DRI.  (Why sysctl is used, whether it's really
the right way to go, much less what exactly is required of sysctl---or
what other changes might be required---were not specfied where I was
looking.)

Is he putting his work into a CVS branch on the NetBSD CVS server?  If
not, maybe someone with the authority to do so could get in touch with him
about this?  (Assuming that a CVS branch is appropriate...I can't think
why it wouldn't be, but it's not my responsibility, either.  (^&)