Subject: Re: quick question
To: None <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2002 01:48:14

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 01:28:31AM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> production & -current ?

Uh... you can build snapshots of -release too. And, in many cases,
I'd have to use -current to do things I'd like to do in production.
(Never mind that policy dictates we do that with Solaris where I

> ...maybe pre-1.6, but the new system seems to circumvent this
> freebsd-style insanity by building it's own set of local tools based on
> the existing ones.

No, no, I mean binaries entirely outside of the build environment.
Like, say, Postfix. Or sed. Or are you saying you do your whole
build at single user?

> my case it did not.  had to run usr/sbin/etcupdate and
> usr/src/etc/postinstall.

Good. Still scares me. :^>

> ...per Julio Merino's suggestion, it seems that the best route is to build
> once with a DESTDIR, verify your source tree builds completely, then build
> again w/o DESTDIR but w/ the -u flag, as to not clear objects, but install
> the compiled binaries.
> ...then etcupdate
> ...then usr/src/etc/postinstall

Well, I'll try that next time around then. It does sound faster.
(I'd insert a "try new kernel" step before the etcupdate. No need to
build one specifically if you've got it listed in EXTRA_KERNELS.

gabriel rosenkoetter

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (NetBSD)