Subject: sendmail 8.12.4
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020605T073515@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2002 08:55:05
Building on the framework Dave Burgess posted the other day I decided to
try my hand at making a sendmail-current pkg for 8.12.4 .

        http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/sendmail-current.tar.gz

    mkdir /usr/pkgsrc/local
    cd /usr/pkgsrc/local
    tar -xvzf sendmail-current.tar.gz

    add smmsp to /etc/master.passwd (with vipw, uid 52)
    add smmsp to /etc/group  (gid 52)

    cd sendmail-current ; make install

    # this was too rude to add to the post-install target:
    cp work/sendmail-8.12.4/cf/cf/submit.mc /etc/mail/submit.mc
    cp files/netbsd.mc /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
    cd /etc/mail
    m4 /usr/pkg/share/sendmail/m4/cf.m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf
    m4 /usr/pkg/share/sendmail/m4/cf.m4 submit.mc > submit.cf
    cp /usr/pkg/etc/mailer.conf.sendmail /etc/mailer.conf
    /etc/rc.d/sendmail restart

I have been running 8.12.4 for half a day and things seem to be
working ok.

There is also a cute way to run only one sendmail MSA (port 587)
daemon for a cluster of machines and only run sendmail in the "submit"
mode on all the other machines.  This is how I'm running it here.  It
cuts down on the number of queues things can be abandoned in, and cuts
down on the number of hops mail has to go. Details on request.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/