Subject: Re: Problems with hard disk
To: NetBSD-current users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2002 23:05:05
--KDt/GgjP6HVcx58l

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 03:04:32PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 02:46:04PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 12:41:53PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >=20
> > > Is this something dangerous? I mean... maybe my disk is going to die?
> >=20
> > No, it's just data corruption on the IDE bus which has been detected by
> > the controller, and the driver redid the transfer. Nothing dangerous he=
re.
>=20
> I'm not so sure it's not dangerous... I've got another message, saying th=
at
> the system has downgraded data transfer to pio mode 4 from udma 2.

uhm, maybe thats a _bad cable_ (too long, got a bit loose, whatever)?

At those speeds, only a few cm of cable length are allowed. I've seen a
couple of PCs that were not built to spec wrt. maximum cable length.

The result is, sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Regards,
	-is

--KDt/GgjP6HVcx58l

--KDt/GgjP6HVcx58l--