Subject: Re: Problems with hard disk
To: NetBSD-current users <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2002 19:13:31

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 01:00:48PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Julio Merino wrote:
> : I'm not so sure it's not dangerous... I've got another message, saying =
> : the system has downgraded data transfer to pio mode 4 from udma 2.
> If you're not using an 80-wire cable, you should be (yes, even for UDMA/3=
> aka UDMA 2).  All UDMA transfers should be done over 80-wire cables.  If
> you're already using an 80-wire cable, try another just in case.

Hmmm... I have always used a 40-wire cable, because my mobo does not support
more than udma/33. And this disk is one year old more or less... Should I
change the wire for a 80 one?

BTW, I have opened the case and touched the wires. Seems the problem has
gone away, though I'll keep backing up my data hehe

> CRC errors are most often a symptom of a bad cable when it comes to UDMA
> transfers.

It seems that this was the problem. I'll install a new wire later.

> : I'll do some more tests with the drive later. it's a Fujitsu 20GB 5400r=
> : udma100.
> You might also want to get a different controller card, if the controller=
> your machine can only do UDMA/33.  8-)

Well... In case it keeps failing, I'll try the disk on another computer,
simply because I don't want to buy a controller card (it won't give any
speed improvement, right?)

Of course it runs NetBSD -
HispaBSD member -
Julio Merino <>