Subject: Re: Problems with hard disk
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2002 13:00:48
On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

: I'm not so sure it's not dangerous... I've got another message, saying that
: the system has downgraded data transfer to pio mode 4 from udma 2.

If you're not using an 80-wire cable, you should be (yes, even for UDMA/33,
aka UDMA 2).  All UDMA transfers should be done over 80-wire cables.  If
you're already using an 80-wire cable, try another just in case.

CRC errors are most often a symptom of a bad cable when it comes to UDMA
transfers.

: I'll do some more tests with the drive later. it's a Fujitsu 20GB 5400rpm
: udma100.

You might also want to get a different controller card, if the controller in
your machine can only do UDMA/33.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/