Subject: Re: Problems with hard disk
To: NetBSD-current users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2002 15:04:32
--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 02:46:04PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 12:41:53PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> > Hello
> >=20
> > Is this something dangerous? I mean... maybe my disk is going to die?
>=20
> No, it's just data corruption on the IDE bus which has been detected by
> the controller, and the driver redid the transfer. Nothing dangerous here.

I'm not so sure it's not dangerous... I've got another message, saying that
the system has downgraded data transfer to pio mode 4 from udma 2.
I've rebooted the machine to get udma2 again, and when trying to start X,
the system has got stalled while reading from disk... I don't think it
is a -current problem, because I haven't updated it for some days, and it
has also failed "outside" netbsd, as I'll say now.

Ok, another reboot, what I get? Grub (the bootloader) can't start and the
machine reboots itself. And after this, it has booted normal... but fsck
complained, too many errors. I'm now backing up my data, to be safe.
I'll do some more tests with the drive later. it's a Fujitsu 20GB 5400rpm
udma100. Although I think it will die in some days :(

Thanks though.

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org
HispaBSD member - http://www.hispabsd.org