Subject: What am I supposed to do with usr.sbin/config ?
To: None <>
From: Jim Breton <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/2002 14:45:15
I'm trying to use on a (Red Hat 7.3) Linux machine to build the
netbsd-current tree.  I checked out the sources yesterday using:
cvs -z3 -d $CVSROOT co src

Now when I run the following:

./ -m i386 -D ~/src/netbsd-current/destdir -R
~/src/netbsd-current/release -U

it chugs for a while and finally fails with the following error:

cleandir ===> tools/config
"/home/build/src/netbsd-current/src/tools/config/../" line
26: Could not find
nbmake: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

nbmake: stopped in /home/build/src/netbsd-current/src/tools/config
*** Error code 1

nbmake: stopped in /home/build/src/netbsd-current/src/tools
*** Error code 1

nbmake: stopped in /home/build/src/netbsd-current/src
*** Error code 1

nbmake: stopped in /home/build/src/netbsd-current/src

OK, so it wants src/usr.sbin/config/Makefile.  However, all I have in my
tree are usr.sbin/config.old and usr.sbin/

So I asked some questions on IRC, and found out that usr.sbin/config is
part of the 'syssrc' cvs module.  No problem there, except I wonder what
I am expected to do with that directory.  If I want to build the tree,
I'd have to move it into src/usr.sbin/ in order for the build scripts to
find it; then later if I want to update my tree I'd have to move it
back?  Is this what I'm supposed to do, or am I missing something?  That
seems really clunky.  Also, using the 'src' cvs module apparently
downloaded the rest of the kernel sources, I don't see why 'config'
wouldn't have been included in that checkout if it already contains the

FWIW, there were a couple other directories which I hope I do not have
the same issue with:

$ find . -type d -name '*.new'