Subject: Re: The NetBSD 1.6 Release Process has begun!
To: None <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/2002 22:26:12

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 07:43:48PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> tested Riva 128 and Tseng ET6000.
> effects are complete system freeze at random moments

For what it's worth, I tried out XFree86 4.2 on my i386 box, using a Riva
TNT (not TNT2) board.

Things I noted:

1. The 7x14 font was gratuitously replaced with something ugly.
2. DPMS said it was there, but wasn't working for me.
3. xf86cfg put my monitor (fixed-resolution LCD display) into a mode which
   it couldn't handle, and somehow managed to wedge that mode into place
   such that trying to move to a wscons failed to affect the screen. Luckil=
   blind-typing "shutdown -r now" avoided fifteen minutes of fsck'ing. (I
   ended up having to use the new xf86config, which was a really nice

The installation process was, indeed, sleeker, but the problems I encounter=
were enough to send me back to XFree86 3.3.6.

Mason Loring Bliss   Ewige Blumenkraft!  awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep;

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see