Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: adding capability for blowfish passwords
To: None <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/2002 00:12:09
>>	hmm.  i see.  we should implement $2$ as openbsd does (there's no need
>>	to be different), and the above algorithm can become $3$.
>	minor correction - openbsd uses $2a$.  $2$ was used in the past but
>	found to be buggy (if i understand correctly)

minor these numbers get assigned by anyone in
particular, or do random implementors just pick a number at least one
higher than the last one they saw somewhere?  i first saw $1$ in use
on ciscos, which is not to say that they originated it.  $2$ logically
follows after $1$, but...are there any rules?  or is it just that the
first implementor invents the "standard"?