Subject: Re: in-kernel pppoe & bandwith usage stats
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/2002 20:07:40
martin@duskware.de (Martin Husemann) wrote:

> > when I used mouse-pppoe and pppd I could watch my bandwith usage
> > with wmpload or pload.
>
> Well, we could add the ioctl's used by those tools for the in-kernel
> ppp interfaces as well. Which are they and why are they needed?

They? Do you talk about the ioctls or (wm)pload? Those tools are just X
apps which show a graphical history of your bandwith usage. AFAIK they
do not need any privileges or a set{g,u}bit set. I don't know which
ioctls they use but I could look it up from the source.

> I use "netstat -b -w 10 -I pppoe0" (like for all other interface I
> want to watch traffic for).

It's not as beautiful as wmpload and you need permission to /dev/mem but
it's OK. Thanks.