Subject: Re: control of wscons screens
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/2002 17:14:57
Julio Merino writes:
 > What is COMPAT_USL, that is, what does it mean? Implementing those ioctl's
 > to wscons itself will be trivial, I think. Though, why duplicate it if it is
 > already there?

WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_USL causes two extra entry points to be defined in
the wscons code that provide support for some VT ioctls.  The three
that are relevant here, however, (VT_GETACTIVE, VT_ACTIVATE, and
VT_WAITACTIVE) are all implemented in terms of function calls outside
of the compat code.  As far as I can tell, there is nothing unusual
about the dispatch code that couldn't be transfered to a more generic
location.

I think the main issue is deciding that this is a reasonable solution
and defining the correct ioctls.  As you say, the kernel
implementation is trivial, as the supporting functions are already in
place.

Cheers,
Brook