Subject: Re: NVidia question
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Doughty <mdoughty@japan.ea.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/2002 11:23:41
On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 08:30:43PM -0500, Paul Dokas wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 06:55:05PM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> >
> > The laptop version could be different, I suppose. I don't have
> > personal experience with that arrangement. On the desktop it works,
> > and XFree86 reports the usual compliment of XAA 2D accelerations.
> >
> > (--) PCI:*(1:5:0) NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 rev 163, Mem @ 0xe6000000/24,
> > 0xe8000000/27, 0xe7800000/19, BIOS @ 0xe77e0000/17
> > (II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT,
> >         RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro, RIVA TNT2 Ultra, Vanta, Riva TNT2 M64,
> >         Aladdin TNT2, GeForce 256, GeForce DDR, Quadro, GeForce2 MX/MX 400,
> >         GeForce2 MX 100/200, GeForce2 Go, Quadro2 MXR, GeForce2 GTS/Pro,
> >         GeForce2 Ti, GeForce2 Ultra, Quadro2 Pro, GeForce4 MX 460,
> >         GeForce4 MX 440, GeForce4 MX 420, GeForce4 440 Go, GeForce4 420 Go,
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Yup, there it is.
>
> I guess that's what I get for listening to my coworkers.  Looking through the
> XFree86 4.2.0 source, it sure looks like it's supported.
>
> I know someone who just got a new Dell Inspiron 8200 that has one of these
> chipsets.  I'll have to convince him to let me try to get NetBSD+XFree86
> onto it to see if it works.

There is no reason it wouldn't work.  The part of the driver that is closed
involves 3d accel. not 2d accel. I think because of patent reasons nVidia can't
release the full sources for their drivers.  Still even if they did I got
the impression from a thread a while back that NetBSD's current graphics
subsystem makes implemetation prohibitive if not impossible at this point. As
far as I know not even the completely open 3d cards are supported under Net at
this point.  I would love to here more clearly what will have to be done to
allow 3d accel. to be supported for cards like the radeons, and matrox cards.

--Matt
--
"Take away them collisions and the common channel and it's like Christianity
 without Christ." -Jim Breen (speaking about "full-duplex" Ethernet)