Subject: Re: NVidia question
To: None <>
From: Matt Doughty <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/2002 11:23:41
On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 08:30:43PM -0500, Paul Dokas wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 06:55:05PM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> >
> > The laptop version could be different, I suppose. I don't have
> > personal experience with that arrangement. On the desktop it works,
> > and XFree86 reports the usual compliment of XAA 2D accelerations.
> >
> > (--) PCI:*(1:5:0) NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 rev 163, Mem @ 0xe6000000/24,
> > 0xe8000000/27, 0xe7800000/19, BIOS @ 0xe77e0000/17
> > (II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT,
> >         RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro, RIVA TNT2 Ultra, Vanta, Riva TNT2 M64,
> >         Aladdin TNT2, GeForce 256, GeForce DDR, Quadro, GeForce2 MX/MX 400,
> >         GeForce2 MX 100/200, GeForce2 Go, Quadro2 MXR, GeForce2 GTS/Pro,
> >         GeForce2 Ti, GeForce2 Ultra, Quadro2 Pro, GeForce4 MX 460,
> >         GeForce4 MX 440, GeForce4 MX 420, GeForce4 440 Go, GeForce4 420 Go,
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yup, there it is.
> I guess that's what I get for listening to my coworkers.  Looking through the
> XFree86 4.2.0 source, it sure looks like it's supported.
> I know someone who just got a new Dell Inspiron 8200 that has one of these
> chipsets.  I'll have to convince him to let me try to get NetBSD+XFree86
> onto it to see if it works.

There is no reason it wouldn't work.  The part of the driver that is closed
involves 3d accel. not 2d accel. I think because of patent reasons nVidia can't
release the full sources for their drivers.  Still even if they did I got
the impression from a thread a while back that NetBSD's current graphics
subsystem makes implemetation prohibitive if not impossible at this point. As
far as I know not even the completely open 3d cards are supported under Net at
this point.  I would love to here more clearly what will have to be done to
allow 3d accel. to be supported for cards like the radeons, and matrox cards.

"Take away them collisions and the common channel and it's like Christianity
 without Christ." -Jim Breen (speaking about "full-duplex" Ethernet)