Subject: Re: NVidia question
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Paul Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/2002 17:45:57
On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 01:05:01PM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> XFree86 4.2 under NetBSD works with a NVidia GeForce4 440; my new
> system (desktop) has just such a card in it.
>
> It seems fine. I'm not a graphics-head, so I've no idea how good or
> fast it is, except to say that "xscreensaver looks pretty zippy".

Really, everyone that I've asked here at work has told me that card
(at least in laptops) is only supported by XFree86 under Linux.
At least for *accelerated* 2D.  Unaccelerated 2D may or may not work.

Anyway, I've pretty much decided to not get a laptop with an NVidia
chipset.  If they're not going to support anything but Linux and
Windows, then I'm not going to support them.

Perhaps this one:

  http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/grx/index.shtml

It costs a little more than a comparable Dell, it's a little lighter
and it does not use an NVidia chipset.  They only questions that I've
got are about the physical quality of the machine, and how well it runs
NetBSD.  Anyone have one?

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."