Subject: Re: interesting observations on the Xsun(Mono) Xserver problem....
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/2002 12:18:24 (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> If anyone has any other suggestions for how I might try to reproduce my
> Xserver crashes using only libungif I'd appreciate the help!  In
> particular if you know of, or have a, small X11 client that uses
> libungif I'd appreciate a copy....

If my XF 4.2.0 server runs for many days it sometimes gets so big that
it hits the per-process memory limit and various memory intensive X
requests (like MIT-SHM) start to fail.  I imagine that eventually
malloc would fail with fatal results.

This problem never happened under XF 4.1.x .  (I'd sometimes go for a
month or two on the same X server without any ill effects.)  I suspect
they either have a memory leak or they changed the logic of how X
garbage collects.

Could your server be growing to unreasonable levels?

       Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
Coming soon: GPS mapping tools for Open Systems.