Subject: Re: seg fault on install
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/2002 17:27:37

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 03:35:27PM +0200, Thomas Runge wrote:
> > On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 07:46:28PM +1000, Murray Armfield wrote:
> > Although, can anybody explain why those kernels usually fail?
> Smells a bit like the mystical Sig11 problem:

Gggrrr can't connect.

> The problem gets even worse now that we have UBC
> integrated. We are now using all available memory
> to cache data and faulty memory shows up quite
> early.

Mmmm... I've passed memtest86 several times and the memory looks perfect.
And the thing is that when I reboot into NetBSD, even with the GENERIC
kernel (which differs from the installation one) everything works
perfectly, and even better when I compile my own kernel.

> A reboot might help, as this will clear the memory
> and further actions might not touch the faulty region.

If memory was faulty, it should fail more usually... and my -current system
is quite stable (despite some problems with X).

> --=20
> Tom, who recently had to replace his memory module
> because of that...

Of course it runs NetBSD -
HispaBSD member -
Julio Merino <>