Subject: Re: Migration question( OpenBSD 2.9 -> NetBSD -current)
To: Bruno Saverio Delbono <bruno@lucifer.at>
From: Milos Urbanek <urbanek@openbsd.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2002 23:26:02
On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:57:48AM -0700, Bruno Saverio Delbono wrote:
> Hello guyz,
>
>     I have two 30 GB drives serving as one raid0 device currently on
> my OpenBSD box. Due to many reasons, I want to upgrade to NetBSD
> -current. However, I have a question:
>
> Can I maintain or preserve all the data on two disks (serving as raid0)
> during reinstall or can I save it?

My experience is that although NetBSD and OpenBSD use ffs fs, there are
some subtle differences that cause the NetBSD not to be able to mount ffs
partitions created under OpenBSD.
More specifically, under NetBSD current (e.g. 1.5ZC) you can mount
ffs partition from OpenBSD 3.0, but when you do a 'ls' or another
fs operation on it you will get an EBADF error if I'm correct.

Therefore I would suggest you to do a full backup (e.g. using tar) and than
reinitialize your disks by fresh NetBSD-like raid/ffs partitions.

Milos