Subject: Re: HEADS UP: ssh configuration files renamed
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: Bruno Saverio Delbono <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/2002 02:03:58

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Luke Mewburn:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 01:06:17PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter
> wrote:
>   > On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 06:28:27PM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
>   > > HEADS UP!
>   > >=20
>   > > The ssh(1) and sshd(8) configuration files have been renamed
>   > > to be consistent with the OpenSSH defaults:
>   >=20
>   > Why? Did you discuss this change anywhere public?

> The decision to move to have consistent configuration filenames with
> what the third party vendor (OpenSSH) ships with was made a couple
> of weeks ago by at least two members of NetBSD core, after long
> discussion on various NetBSD forums.

While we are on the topic of ssh, why do we print out the version
string of the OS as banner when we connect? i.e.

On NetBSD -current:

[]$telnet 22
Connected to
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.2 NetBSD_Secure_Shell-20020422

I don't want people to know the OS/version only from the sshd banner?
Why you may ask...well recently there have been a string of exploits
(crc32 bug) which has been exploited with x2. Each day, I get around
50+ - 100+ probes for the sshd banner.=20

However on OpenBSD:

[]$telnet 22
Connected to
Escape character is '^]'.

Is there a reason on why this should not be similar to OpenSSH -core?

Kind regards,

Excellent time to become a missing person.

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (OpenBSD)
Comment: For info see